Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Monkey Within

Every person has a creative myth that lives inside them, its a destination and a journey, and it is always unique. That's what I love about narrative, and pictures, images of all kinds, it's the story.

I like being intrigued by the stories around me, others stories always invite resonance within me. Sometimes it connects sometimes not, but I find if the artist or writer is authentic, does not hide but reveals - I'm usually touched. And that's the point, isn't it? I don't think it matters if the symbols used to tell a story are obscure or linear - the essence is communicated when done "right".

We each have our own symbol system that we use to tell our story, and more times than not its a 
mythic journey that we are compelled to tell and follow. That is what is so interesting about the 
human dilemma. We are all ONE and not, at the same time. A combination of carbon and hydrogen plus consciousness. Fascinating.

Then the individual metaphors take shape and we are living a dharmic karmic passion play. We see it in our work we see it in our lives. Don't you find that fascinating?

Sometimes the metaphors are sign posts, our teachers and our tricksters based on our level of awareness. I sometimes image it as a monkey who lives in the back of head, fighting for 
my heart and minds attention. Follow me follow me says the monkey, trickster or teacher?

That's why I love meditation, visualization and astrological study. These processes help me illuminate the symbols in my work and that I live out in my life, in truth - I believe it is really the monkey within that compels the life story to unfold.

And talk. And dance. The law of detachment asks us to be the knowing, the knower and the known simultaneously. I find that inspiring, and through focused breath and intention I unfold the teacher within and uncover myself in the symbols. That is the heart of my art work and my teaching practice.

And ideally, I can learn to laugh at the monkey or with him as the case may be. Cause the monkey within - is me.
------------------
Evolutionary Astrology Class starts on Thursday, September 30th - email me at rhonda.schaller@gmail.com if you are interested in joining the "monkey" journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment