Sunday, February 27, 2011

What's an artist to do?

As most of you know, among the manner things I create, I provide creative career coaching at the School of Visual Arts and spend a good part of my time helping art students and professionals think strategically.  My mantra has been (yes I have many, but this is the latest one) Relationships, Research and Referrals as a guiding light to building a creative career.

You cannot do career alone. You have to have community.  You have to have spirit, whether that is emotional or spiritual, and you have to share. Build community, participate in community, grow community. I've been saying this for years now, many of you I know have taken these ideas into your art practice and into the world. The world is a better place because of you.

I firmly believe that all of us have unique talents, and together we create micro-markets of value.  It is our values that matter in the world, and the value we create in the marketplace is simply an offshoot of who we are, and what we believe in. It is felt in what we make.

So what do you believe in? Why does it matter?

The world is in flux - everywhere. Be prepared means who has your back? Who will you help? How can your pursuit of beauty and change help create a climate of value and inspiration?

We must inspire change, motivate ourselves and others in the pursuit of beauty, and allow the spirit in all things to flourish through our creativity. That's how it looks and feels to me.  Together create beauty and value, share beauty and value, support beauty and value by purchasing beauty and value. Whether it is clothing, art work, music, ideas.

How does it look and feel to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment